Thursday, February 13, 2014

Non-Fiction Critical Analysis "Time for a Raise?"

          I recently read the article "Time for a Raise?" by Patricia Smith. It's about how President Barack Obama wants to raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10 per hour, and it is currently $7.25 per hour. There are many people who are for this raise of minimum wage, however, there are also many people who are against it and say that it's a bad idea. Both sides have valid point, that make sense and are reasonable.
          Many people are against it because raising the minimum wages of workers would affect so many other things. And it wouldn't be very beneficial for the employer, and owner. If they raise the minimum wage of some people's wages, they would probably have to raise all the other employees' wages as well, which would result in the employer or owner making a lower profit. So, to make up for the companies loss of money to the employees, they could raise the prices, which may make customers unhappy. They could also have employees work for less hours, or just hire less people. But this could of course cause more unemployment, or increase the unemployment rate, when 6.7% of americans are already unemployed.
          The people who are for the raise in minimum wages, are mostly the employees, and workers. Because these people want to earn more money per hour. Because many people can't live off of what they are earning right now. Many adults and teenagers are struggling with only minimum wage. They need money to pay for a place to live, food, bills, etc. And a lot of young people need money to pay for their education. Also, a lot of these people who only earn minimum wage, are the breadwinners of their household/ family, so they often have to earn money for not only themselves, but their family as well. And some people feel that it would help the already suffering economy to have people earning more.
          Many states' minimum wages are higher than the federal minimum wage. Actually about 21 states, and in close to half of those states, the minimum wage raises with inflation, or a rise in the general level of prices.
          I think that the author was just trying to inform the readers about the different sides of this argument, and the reasons that people are for or against raising federal minimum wages. I think that they author wants us to understand both the benefits, and advantages and the loss and disadvantages.
          I think that after reading this article, I think that the people who are against raising the minimum wage have a valid argument. If the minimum wage was raised there is a big chance that the owner or employer makes less of a profit. I mean, I understand that the employees want to make more money per hour, but if getting more money per hour causes them to have to work for less hours, or even get fired,  they won't be earning any more money.

1 comment:

  1. Wow maja, good job. I like how you incorporated your thoughts instead of stating facts out of the magazine. I also like how you imagined how the author felt according to the article (and based on the bias throughout the article) and you stated your opinion. I agree with you that minimum wage workers deserve more also because they have bills to pay and the money they are given isn't nearly enough to live off of. Great work!

    ReplyDelete