Thursday, January 30, 2014

"Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris

          I am currently reading the book Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris. It is about David Sedaris, a kid with a lisp, and an interesting view of things and of the world. In this book, he goes through a lot of things like being gay, dealing with crystal meth and drug addictions, and moving to France to learn a new language which he goes back to school for. 
          This book was  interesting, and probably not something I would have picked for myself to read if I knew what it was about and what it was like. It's funny at times, as well as sad and a bit confusing. The readers get to go through different things with David. I feel like the author wrote this book and fasted forward through David's life, and stopped at certain moments that he wanted to share with the readers. Some things he described with a lot of detail, whereas other descriptions and explanations were more vague. 
          I think that throughout this book, David struggles with a lot of things like finding what he wants to do with his life. He seems like a very smart and reflective person. He says in the book, "Lisa had been born with a lazy leg that had refused to grow at the same rate as it's twin. I liked the idea that a part of one's body might be thought of as lazy--not thoughtless or hostile, just unwilling to extend itself for the betterment of the team." I think that this really shows and accurately displays and gives the readers kind of an idea of what sort of person David is. He's a thoughtful person, who pays attention to certain things, that I sometimes don't really pay much attention to. When he came to France, he learned 10 words a day, and was determined to learn how to speak french, he even went back to school to learn french. I also think that sometimes David goes out of his way to not do what other people want him to. Like when his speech teacher tries to help him learn how to make the right sound for and "s", he worked very hard so that he learned a lot of new words, and synonyms of words that had an "s" in it. He did this so that he wouldn't have to say "s" all the time, and have people notice it, and point it out. Another example is when his father wants him and his sisters to play instruments, they all make up excuses for not wanting to play or practice. And they didn't even try to seem interested in the instruments.
          I think that David had a lot to live up to, because of his siblings. His brother had a great and special relationship with their father, and one of his sisters is a very artistic and talented person. And his father loves all of his daughters a lot, and makes a big deal of their beauty. I think that his father seems very pushy and like he feels like it's his responsibility to decide things and dictate his children's lives, especially hid daughters. He makes sure that they all stay thin and beautiful. And when he thinks someone has gained too much weight, he tells them and says that he will pay for every pound they loose. Which couldn't exactly have helped boost their confidence, it probably just made them really insecure about themselves.
   

1 comment:

  1. i really liked how you gave us an analysis of David and how you added your thoughts on what he was going through. When you told me about how his father and how he was very pushy i was a little unsure of what you meant when you said he would try to keep his kids skinny. could you maybe elaborate more on his family life?

    ReplyDelete